111 Great Neck Road, Great Neck, NY 11021
411 Hackensack Avenue, 5th Floor, Hackensack, NJ 07601
350 Bedford Street, Suite 406A, Stamford, CT 06901
Pace University Law School
(J.D. and Environmental Law Certificate, cum laude, 1997)
(B.A., cum laude, 1994)
U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York
New York State Courts
New Jersey State Courts
Connecticut State Courts
HONORS AND AWARDS
New York Super Lawyers – Metro Edition (2013-2017)
Selected for “Outstanding Women in Law for 2016” by the Honorable A. Gail Prudenti and Hofstra University School of Law (April 5, 2016)
Long Island Business News – "Who's Who in Intellectual Property & Labor Law" (2014 & 2013); “Ones to Watch” (2012); "40 Under 40" Class of 2012 (2012)
Nassau County Bar Association
American Health Lawyers Association
Marianne Monroy is a Partner at Garfunkel Wild, P.C. She joined the firm in 2001, and is Co-Chair of the Employment Law practice group. Ms. Monroy is also a member of the firm’s Litigation and Arbitration, and Appellate Litigation practice groups.
Ms. Monroy represents and counsels clients in federal and state court, arbitrations, appeals, hearings, and mediations. Her practice includes litigation of a wide variety of commercial and business issues, including contract disputes, managed care, and judicial review of agency and other administrative determinations.
Ms. Monroy also has broad employment law experience, defending clients against all types of employment claims, including age, race, gender, national origin, and harassment, as well as claims under the Americans With Disabilities Act, Family and Medical Leave Act, Fair Labor Standards Act, False Claims Act, New Jersey Law Against Discrimination and the Conscientious Employee Protection Act, whistleblower laws, wrongful discharge, defamation, breach of employment contracts, and non-compete/restrictive covenant agreements.
Ms. Monroy also has particular experience in counseling clients concerning Human Resources issues, and compliance with state and federal wage, safety, overtime, discrimination and environmental laws. She also regularly represents clients with regard to claims brought before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the New York State Division of Human Rights, the New York City Division of Human Rights, the Suffolk County and Westchester County Human Rights Commissions, the New Jersey Civil Rights Commission, the New York State Department of Labor, the New Jersey Department of Labor and Workforce Development, and Connecticut Commission on Human Rights and Opportunities.
Prior to joining the firm, Ms. Monroy practiced land use and environmental law, representing private and municipal corporations in connection with real estate development applications, zoning and land use planning matters.
Ms. Monroy received her B.A., cum laude, from Brooklyn College in 1994, and her J.D., cum laude, and Environmental Law Certificate from Pace University Law School in 1997.
Speeches and Events
- Employment Law Leadership Bootcamp: Community FoodBank of New Jersey (October 29, 2018)
- Webinar: Sexual Harassment in The Medical Professional (December 14, 2017)
- Webinar: New York Paid Family Leave Law: What You Need to Know About This Law (September 13, 2017)
- DOL New Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) Overtime Law Changes, CTCPA Education Center Healthcare Conference, Rocky Hill, CT (October 6, 2016)
- On the Front Line: How to Handle Difficult ASC Employees, 2016 NY Metro ASC Symposium, New York Hilton, NY (September 14, 2016)
- Anti-Discrimination and Harassment: Management Awareness & Prevention, Brooklyn Plaza Medical Center, Brooklyn, NY (July 2016)
- Assuming Leadership Roles as Physicians: Responding to Behavioral Issues, Columbia Memorial Hospital, Hudson, NY (April 2016)
- How to Handle Employee Discipline Issues: An Invaluable Cost-Containment Safeguard, Fairfield County Medical Association Educational Program, Norwalk, CT (May 7, 2014)
- Practical Considerations for Documenting and Handling Employee Performance, Discipline and Complaints, Queens Endoscopy Center, Fresh Meadows, NY (March 26, 2014)
- "Implementing the Mandates Imposed on Covered Entities by Section 1557 of the ACA," Co-Author, Law Journal Newsletters, February 2017
- "Patient Language Barriers: Why Physicians Are Responsible," Medical Economics (2015)
- "Firing An Employee: Protecting Your Practice From A Lawsuit," Medical Economics (2014)
- "The Importance of a Good Employee Handbook," Journal of the American College of Radiology (Vol. 11, Issue 4, p 421–422) April 2014
- "Beware the Risks of Using Social Media During Recruitment," New York Law Journal (March 10, 2014)