American University, Washington College of Law School
Cornell University, College of Human Ecology
United States District Court for the Southern, Eastern and Northern Districts of New York
New York Supreme Court, Appellate Division
HONORS AND AWARDS
New York Super Lawyers – Metro Edition (2014-2018)
Newsday Long Island People on the Move (November 2008)
The Attorney of Nassau County Who's Who List (November 2008)
New York State Bar Association
Nassau County Bar Association
American Health Lawyers Association
National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys
Board Member - Community Mainstreaming Associates, Inc.
Eve Green Koopersmith is a Partner Director of Garfunkel Wild, P.C. She joined the firm in 1994 and is head of the Discharge Planning and Elder Law Practice Group.
Ms. Koopersmith's practice includes discharge planning, elder law, guardianship proceedings, Medicaid planning, litigation on behalf of hospitals and nursing homes, general health care and regulatory matters and compliance issues for nursing homes and home health agencies.
With particular experience in patient rights issues relating to hospitals, nursing homes and home health agencies, Ms. Koopersmith is frequently involved in matters concerning advance directives and life-sustaining treatment, discharge planning, retention and treatment issues for psychiatric patients, and assisted outpatient treatment matters. She also regularly advises hospitals and other providers regarding the confidentiality of specially protected records such as HIV, alcohol/substance abuse and mental health records. She also works with families of Special Needs individuals, establishing Supplemental Needs Trusts and advising families on Medicaid matters and other governmental benefits. She also has represented organizations devoted to working with special needs children.
Ms. Koopersmith serves on the Board of Directors of Community Mainstreaming Associates, Inc., a not-for-profit organization providing services to persons with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
Ms. Koopersmith has lectured for the New York State Bar Association, the Association of the Bar of the City of New York, Lorman Education Services and Behavioral Health Care Management Institute. She is also a contributing editor of "Guardianship Practice in New York State," published by the New York State Bar Association, and the "Legal Manual for Physicians," published by the The New York State Bar Association and Medical Society of the State of New York.
Ms. Koopersmith received her B.A. from Cornell University in 1979 and her J.D. from American University, Washington College of Law, in 1982.
Speeches and Events
- "When You Need A Lawyer: How To Choose One," Nassau County Bar Association Public Education Seminar, Great Neck, NY (June 20, 2016)
- "Healthcare Proxy and Living Will & Long Term Care Planning," PBMC Health seminar “Healthcare Decision Day,” Riverhead, NY (May 25, 2016)
- "The Legal Aspects of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Treatment Services," Nassau County 6th Annual Conference on Co-Occurring Disorders, Hempstead, NY (December 18, 2015)
- "Legal Checklist," Teleconference for the National Health Care Decisions Day, New York State Bar Association (April 16, 2015)
- "The Impact of Advance Directives on the Delivery of Healthcare to the Seriously or Terminally Ill," SCBA Health & Hospital Committee, Live Webcast (June 4, 2014)
- "Identifying, Addressing and Preventing Elder Fraud: Exploitation and Abuse," Hofstra Law, Maurice A. Deane School of Law, Hempstead, NY (January 29, 2014)
- Mental Health Issues and Services, New York State Bar Association, Elder Law Section and Senior Lawyers Section Joint Fall Meeting (October 30, 2010)
- Hot Topics in Elder Law: Hospital Discharge Planning, NYSBA 2009 Annual Meeting, New York, NY (January 27, 2009)
- Removing a patient from your practice: A physician’s legal and ethical responsibilities, Medical Economics, March 16, 2015 (co-author)
- Documents Governing End-of-Life Care: Avoiding Traps for the Unwary, New York Law Journal, September 17, 2012 (co-author)
- Co-authored chapter of Legal Manual for New York Physicians (Third Edition), entitled Life-Sustaining Treatment Decisions.
- Challenges emerge when dealing with uninsured, Discharge Planning Advisor, December 1, 2009
- Discharge Dilemma, Inside Healthcare (September 2009)
- Documents Governing Health Care Decisions, New York Law Journal, September 22, 2008