Pace Law School
New York Supreme Court, Appellate Division
Connecticut State Courts
New York State Bar Association
Connecticut Bar Association
American Bar Association (Health Care and Business Law Sections)
American Health Lawyers Association
Barbara D. Knothe, a Partner in Garfunkel Wild, P.C.’s Health Care Practice Group, has over 20 years of experience in the health care field.
A registered nurse with critical care experience, Ms. Knothe has extensive experience in the representation of health care providers, with special emphasis on general health care, regulatory and corporate transactions. Her clients include hospitals, physicians, home health agencies and other health industry providers.
Ms. Knothe has particular experience in regulatory and The Joint Commission, HIPAA, EMTALA, 340B Program, licensure and treatment issues, as well as physician and medical staff issues and health care transactions. She has been actively involved in the development and implementation of various types of compliance programs for numerous health care facilities and systems. Ms. Knothe represents physicians and other licensees in investigations before the Office of Professional Medical Conduct and other disciplinary agencies, and in hearings before Medicare and other payors.
Ms. Knothe has been a frequent speaker on EMTALA, The Joint Commission, HIPAA and other federal and state regulatory issues, as well as treatment issues.
Ms. Knothe was a contributing author of the “Legal Manual for New York Physicians,” a collaborative effort of the New York State Bar Association and the Medical Society of the State of New York, and is a frequent contributor to the New York Health Law Update.
Ms. Knothe received her B.S.N. from SUNY Brockport in 1977 and her J.D. from Pace Law School in 1984.
- Protecting Controlled Substances at your Medical Practice, Medical Economics, February 25, 2014
- Prescribing Black Box Drugs: How to Watch for Liability Traps, Medical Economics, December 25, 2013
- Documents Governing End-of-Life Care: Avoiding Traps for the Unwary, New York Law Journal, September 17, 2012 (co-author)
- Co-authored chapter of Legal Manual for New York Physicians (Third Edition), entitled Life-Sustaining Treatment Decisions
- Financial Triage: Point of Service Collections & EMTALA, Managing Healthcare Today, Volume 16 Issue 3, December 2011
- Documents Governing Health Care Decisions, New York Law Journal, September 22, 2008
- Office-Based Surgery Now Regulated, New York Law Journal, December 17, 2007