Hofstra University School of Law
(J.D., cum laude, 2003)
Associate Editor Law Review
Citation of Excellence in Bankruptcy Law Classes
Course Excellence Award in Property
Merit Scholarship Recipient
(B.S. in Industrial and Labor Relations, 2000) International Business Program
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
HONORS AND AWARDS
Turnaround Atlas Award for Corporate Turnaround of the Year/Small Mid Markets (in the range of above $5 million to $150 million)
American Bankruptcy Institute
American Health Lawyers Association
Adam Berkowitz is a Partner at Garfunkel Wild, P.C., which he joined in 2013. He is a member of the firm’s Corporate Reorganization and Bankruptcy Practice Group which provides advice on corporate reorganizations, business workouts, debt-restructurings, acquisitions of distressed assets and companies, and enforcement of creditors' rights. He is also a member of the Business Practice Group and the Finance and Real Estate Practice Group.
Mr. Berkowitz's practice includes all phases of debtor, creditor and lender representations in both Chapter 11 proceedings and out-of-court workouts as well as the representation of acquirers and sellers of distressed assets. He frequently provides general counsel on a variety of non-bankruptcy matters and has extensive experience representing distressed hospitals, health care related facilities and not-for-profit entities.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Berkowitz was a senior associate at a large international law firm where he participated in many of the nation's largest bankruptcy and restructuring matters.
Mr. Berkowitz was admitted to the New York Bar in 2004 and is admitted to practice in the Eastern and Southern Districts of New York.
Mr. Berkowitz received his B.S. from Cornell University in 2000 and his J.D., cum laude, from Hofstra University School of Law in 2003, where he was an associate editor of the Law Review.
- Chapter 15 Overview: US Bankruptcy Cases Ancillary to Foreign Proceedings, (Practice Note) - Practical Law Company
- International Litigation: US Laws Governing Cross-border Service of Process, (Practice Note) - Practical Law Company
- International Litigation: Serving Process under the Hague Service Convention, (Practice Note) - Practical Law Company
- International Litigation: Serving Process Outside the U.S., (Practice Note) - Practical Law Company
- A International Litigation and Arbitration Publication: Managing, Resolving, and Avoiding Cross-Border Business or Regulatory Disputes;
Chapter 26, U.S. Bankruptcy Court Assistance to Non-U.S. Proceedings,
Chapter 3, Service Outside U.S.
- Cross-Border Securities and Debt Litigation - Making a Deal: The Impact of Chapter 15 and U.S. Securities Laws in Cross Border Restructurings (November 15, 2007)
- Bankruptcy Basics Seminar (In-House CLE Course)