(M.S., Elementary Education, 1999)
Touro College, Jacob D. Fuchsberg Law School
(J.D. with honors, 1991)
New York University
(B.S., Finance, 1983)
New York Supreme Court, Appellate Division
New York State Bar Association
Nassau County Bar Association
Nassau County Women’s Bar Association
American Bar Association
American Health Lawyers Association
Madelin T. Zwerling is a Senior Attorney at Garfunkel Wild, P.C., which she joined in 2011. She is a member of the Personal Services and Estate Planning Practice Group, which advises clients in the preparation of wills and trusts, as well as in estate administration and gift planning for the preservation of family businesses and wealth upon death, and related tax matters. She is also a member of the Discharge Planning and Patient Rights and Elder Law Practice Group, and regularly represents hospitals in court proceedings concerning retention and treatment issues for psychiatric patients and assisted outpatient matters as well as in Article 81 and 17 Guardianships. Ms. Zwerling also is a member of the Employment Law Practice Group, and, among other functions, she regularly provides legal advice to clients concerning employment issues (for example, leave issues), develops and drafts employee handbooks, policies and procedures, and represents clients in a wide array of employment litigation matters, including matters before the New York State Division of Human Rights.
Prior to joining the firm, Ms. Zwerling was an attorney whose primary areas of focus were real estate, trusts and estates and matrimonial law.
Ms. Zwerling has devoted herself to pro bono work. In 2011, she was honored for her work on behalf of the Nassau County Coalition against Domestic Violence, an entity that provides legal assistance in matrimonial actions to victims of domestic abuse. She also served as an attorney for the Long Island Advocacy Center, an entity that is designed to provide individuals with various forms of assistance relating to the Individual with Disabilities Act, such as Special Education support and lay advocacy training. Ms. Zwerling also provided service as a court-appointed guardian through the Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA) EAC Family Court Program in Nassau County.
Ms. Zwerling is a graduate of New York University with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Finance. Following her graduation from New York University, she was employed in the financial services industry as an analyst and a corporate speechwriter. She later graduated from Touro College Jacob D. Fuchsberg Law Center in 1991 with honors, having finished near the top of her class.
Speeches and Events
- "Estate Planning & Asset Protection for Physicians," South Nassau PHO & Winthrop PHO, Inc., March 4, 2014
- Authored chapter entitled "Health-Related Reporting Requirements for Physicians in New York City" in the Legal Manual for New York Physicians (Sixth Edition)
- "Mental Health Conditions Of Employees: Your Responsibilities As An Employer, " Medical Society Of The State of New York, News of New York, March 2020/April 2020
- "Practical Considerations Regarding Your Employee Handbook: Part Two and Part Three, " Medical Society Of The State Of New York, News Of New York, December 2019/January 2020
- "Practical Considerations Regarding Your Employee Handbook: Part One," Medical Society Of The State Of New York News Of New York, September 2019
- "Permitted Uses of Safe and Sick Leave Under New York City’s Earned Safe and Sick Time Act," Medical Society Of The State Of New York News Of New York, September 2019
- "Do I Really Need An Employee Handbook? Absolutely!," Medical Society Of The State Of New York News Of New York, July 2019
- "Protecting Gifts To Your Adult Children," Medical Society Of The State Of New York News Of New York, May 2019
- "Dear Doctors: Are You Sending Your College-Age Children off With The Proper Legal Documentation In Place," Medical Society Of The State Of New York News Of New York, March 2019
- "Protecting Separate Property During Marriage and Divorce," New York Law Journal, September 22, 2014 (co-author)
- "Family Law: I Now Pronounce You Parties To A Contract," Connecticut Law Tribune, August 7, 2013
- "Make Sure Your Loved Ones Get It When You're Gone: The Need for Estate Planning" Journal of the American College of Radiology (Vol. 10, Issue 5, pgs 376-367) May 2013