Hofstra University School of Law (J.D., Dean's List, 1998)
University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill (B.A., Dean's List, 1995)
New York Supreme Court, Appellate Division
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
HONORS AND AWARDS
New York Super Lawyers – Rising Stars (2013)
New York State Bar Association
Member of the American Bar Association Advisory Panel
American Health Lawyers Association
Afsheen Shah is a Partner at Garfunkel Wild, P.C., which she joined in 2003. She is a member of the firm’s Compliance and White Collar Defense; Health Care and Corporate Reorganization and Bankruptcy practice groups.
Ms. Shah's practice includes the defense of clients in criminal, civil and regulatory government actions; assisting clients in implementing both fraud and abuse and HIPAA compliance programs; and advising clients on a wide array of compliance, regulatory and business matters.
Ms. Shah also has significant experience in creditor rights, workouts, business acquisitions and restructurings. She has represented various businesses, hospitals, landlords and creditors committees.
Prior to joining the firm, Ms. Shah was an associate at Certilman Balin Adler & Hyman, LLP, where she participated in various bankruptcy related matters, including the representation of banks, landlords and Chapter 7 Trustees.
Ms. Shah was admitted to the New York Bar in 1999 and is a member of the New York State Bar Association. She is admitted to practice in the Eastern and Southern Districts of New York.
Ms. Shah received her B.A. from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in 1995 and her J.D. from Hofstra University School of Law in 1998.
Speeches and Events
- When a Small Case Becomes a Big Case: Keeping E-Discovery Cost in Check" (South Asian Bar Association of North America (SABA North America) Annual Conference, New York, NY (June 29, 2018)
- "Understanding and Resolving Financial Challenges in Health Care," NYAHSA(New York Association of Homes and Services for the Aging) Annual Conference and Exposition, Saratoga Springs, NY (June 21, 2011)
- Hospitals in Crisis: The Insolvency Crisis Plaguing Hospitals Across the U.S. - Strategies to Combat Insolvency (Beard Group Teleconference) - April 24, 2007
- Authored chapter entitled "Regulated Medical Waste" and co-authored "Committee for Physicians’ Health and Physician Impairment" in the Legal Manual of New York Physicians (Sixth Edition)
- The Hazards of Pharmaceutical Disposal: Rising Issues of Concern for Healthcare, HFMA's New Jersey Chapter Garden State Focus, November/December 2010, Vol 57, Number 3
- "Prescription Drugs Can Make For Unhealthy Waterways - Health-care facilities could be barred from pouring medication down drains", Connecticut Law Tribune, October 4, 2010
- The Hazards of Pharmaceutical Disposal: Emerging Environmental Issues of Concern, New Jersey Law Journal, July 19, 2010
- Buyer Beware, Inside Healthcare, August 2008
- Insolvency crisis plagues hospitals; problem affects both profits and nonprofits; several factors play role, The National Law Journal, October 30, 2006