Brooklyn Law School
(J.D., 2009) Moot Court Honor Society
Brooklyn Journal of Corporate, Financial and Commercial Law (Articles Editor)
Outstanding Student Advocate Award
(B.A., Political Science, 2004)
New York Supreme Court, Appellate Division
HONORS AND AWARDS
Super Lawyers - New York Metro
Rising Star (2020)
New York State Bar Association
American Bar Association
American Health Lawyers Association
Robert B. Koonin’s practice focuses on a wide array of real estate and finance transactions across all property classes, with a particular emphasis on health care facilities and complex commercial transactions. Mr. Koonin routinely represents real estate operators, not-for-profit companies, private family offices and other entities in buying, selling, financing, and leasing a full spectrum of real estate holdings, such as office buildings, hotels, shopping centers, senior living properties and other commercial facilities across the continental United States. Mr. Koonin also represents both borrowers and national lenders in connection with all aspects of commercial financings, including tax-exempt transactions.
Most recently, Mr. Koonin has helped clients navigate a wide array of legal and operational issues arising during the Covid-19 pandemic.
Prior to joining the Firm in 2011, Mr. Koonin was a Real Estate Associate at Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP and was previously the Senior Vice President of Legal Affairs at the London-based software company, Metric Gaming LLC.
Mr. Koonin’s recent experience includes:
- Represented national lender in connection with $25 million to $100+ million loans to finance the acquisition of various senior living properties across New York State
- Represented a private real estate investment company in the acquisition and financing of ~ 650,000 square feet of commercial office space in Virginia
- Advised nursing home operator in connection with the acquisition of a $110 million senior living campus in the Bronx, New York
- Negotiated leases and subleases for private equity fund with approximately twenty-five (25) new leased locations throughout the Northeast
- Represented one of New York’s largest hospital systems with the acquisition and related leaseback of a campus in Suffolk County, New York
- Counseled a joint venture client in connection with the acquisition of a portfolio of commercial office buildings in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Advised major New York hospital with $130 million tax-exempt bond financing