Brooklyn Law School
(J.D., 2009) Moot Court Honor Society
Brooklyn Journal of Corporate, Financial and Commercial Law (Articles Editor)
Outstanding Student Advocate Award
(B.A., Political Science, 2004)
New York Supreme Court, Appellate Division
HONORS AND AWARDS
Super Lawyers - New York Metro
Rising Star (2020)
New York State Bar Association
American Bar Association
American Health Lawyers Association
Robert B. Koonin is the Vice-Chair of the Firm’s Real Estate Practice, and focuses on a wide array of real estate and finance transactions across all property classes, with a particular emphasis on health care facilities and complex commercial transactions. Mr. Koonin routinely represents real estate operators, not-for-profit companies, private family offices and other entities in buying, selling, financing, and leasing a full spectrum of real estate holdings (including commercial office, hospital, hotel, shopping center, and senior living properties across the United States). Mr. Koonin also represents both borrowers and national lenders in connection with all aspects of commercial financings, including tax-exempt transactions.
Most recently, Mr. Koonin has helped clients navigate a wide array of legal, regulatory and operational issues arising during the Covid-19 pandemic.
Prior to joining the Firm in 2011, Mr. Koonin was a Real Estate Associate at Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP and was previously the Senior Vice President of Legal Affairs at the London-based software company, Metric Gaming.
- Represent national lender in connection with loans (ranging from $25 million to $200+ million) to finance the acquisition and development of various senior living properties throughout the U.S.
- Counsel to the Nation’s second-largest physical therapy network, handling all real estate matters for 250+ leased locations across the U.S.
- Represent a joint venture in the acquisition and related financing of ~ 650,000 square feet of commercial office space in Virginia
- Advise nursing home operator in connection with the acquisition of a $110 million senior living campus in the Bronx, New York
- Represent one of New York’s largest hospital systems with the acquisition and related leaseback of a 15-acre campus in Suffolk County, New York
- Counsel a private family office in connection with the acquisition of a portfolio of commercial office buildings in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Advise a major New York hospital in connection with $130 million tax-exempt bond financing to construct a new Emergency Department