University of Akron School of Law
Member of Akron Law Review
State University of New York at Albany
New York State Bar Association
American Health Lawyers Association
Sandra M. Jensen is a Partner at Garfunkel Wild, P.C., which she joined in 2015. Ms. Jensen is a member of the firm’s Health Care; Health Care Information and Technology; HIPAA Compliance; and Discharge Planning, Patient Rights and Elder Law practice groups. Ms. Jensen’s clients include federally qualified health centers (FQHCs), health systems, hospitals and physicians. Ms. Jensen regularly counsels FQHCs and look-alikes on regulatory issues including issues relating to compliance with HRSA and FTCA requirements.
Prior to joining Garfunkel Wild, P.C., Ms. Jensen was an attorney within the Bureau of House Counsel, Division of Legal Affairs at the New York State Department of Health for nearly fourteen years, and served as Acting Director of the Bureau. The Bureau of House Counsel provides advice and assistance to almost all programs within the New York State Department of Health, including in relation to the Compassionate Care Act (Medical Marijuana Program), the Statewide Health Information Network of New York (SHIN-NY), clinical and environmental laboratories, blood and tissue banks, HIPAA, patient rights, Public Health Law Article 28 licensure and surveillance, Early Intervention, and emergency medical services.
While at the New York State Department of Health, Ms. Jensen provided legal counsel on issues related to the Early Intervention Program, a program that provides therapeutic and support services to children with developmental delays or disabilities. Ms. Jensen also provided legal counsel on the implementation of the Compassionate Care Act (Medical Marijuana Program), Executive Order #38 and limits on executive compensation, licensure of hospitals, nursing homes and clinics, and matters relating to clinical laboratories.
Ms. Jensen received her undergraduate degree from the State University of New York at Albany in 1994, and her J.D. from the University of Akron School of Law in 1997, where she was a member of the Akron Law Review.
Speeches and Events
- “FTCA Deeming, What do I need to Do In Order to Submit the Application,” Garfunkel Wild Webinar Series, June 9, 2020 and March 31, 2020
- “Covid-19 Telehealth Rules Applicable to FQHCs,” Garfunkel Wild Webinar, March 26, 2020
- “Implementing and Expanding Telehealth to Address Covid-19,” Garfunkel Wild Webinar, March 19, 2020
- “The Medical Marijuana Program,” 5 Part Continuing Medical Education Webinar Series, Medical Society Of the State Of New York, February 2020
- “FTCA Compliance & Preparing For An FTCA Specific On-Site Visit,” Garfunkel Wild Webinar, November 20, 2019
- “Legal Update,” Annual Healthcare Financial Management Association Conference held on October 10, 2019
- “FTCA Compliance,” New Jersey Primary Care Association Conference held on October 2, 2019
- “Overview of Advanced Home Health Aide Law in New York,” Garfunkel Wild Webinar, July 25, 2018
- “Overview of Compliance Programs: Elements and Enforcement,” Garfunkel Wild Webinar, June 21, 2018
- Discussion of the legal status of marijuana, the Compassionate Care Act (Medical Marijuana Program) in New York State, and requirements of the Act., Presenter, The Legal Executive Institute blog’s Medical Marijuana Podcast, Thomson Reuters, Legal Executive Institute, June 14, 2018
- “FTCA Deeming: What do I need to do in order to submit the Application,” Garfunkel Wild Webinar, April 30, 2018
- “FTCA Compliance Issues for FQHCs,” Garfunkel Wild Webinar, December 12, 2017
- NYS Bar Association, Health Law Meeting, Presentation "New York's Medical Marijuana Program: What all healthcare attorneys should know"; October 27, 2017
- “New York’s Medical Marijuana Program: What all healthcare providers should know!,” Garfunkel Wild Webinar, June 20, 2017
- CMS Long Term Care Requirements Seminar, November 14, 2016
- Co-authored chapter entitled "Federally Qualified Health Centers (FQHCs)" in the Legal Manual of New York Physicians (Sixth Edition)
- "The Basics of New York’s Medical Marijuana Law", Thomson Reuters’ Aspatore Special Report A Non-Smoking State (July, 2016)