Albany Law School of Union University
(J.D., cum laude, 1991);
State University of New York at Binghamton
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
U.S. District Court for the Western District of New York
New York Supreme Court, Appellate Division
HONORS AND AWARDS
New York Super Lawyers – Metro Edition (2014-2015, 2018-2019)
New York State Bar Association
American Bar Association
Nassau County Bar Association
Health Care Compliance Association
American Health Lawyers Association
Peter M. Hoffman is a Partner/Director with Garfunkel Wild, P.C. and is a Co-Chair of the firm's Compliance and White Collar Defense Practice Group.
Since joining Garfunkel Wild, P.C. in 1996, Mr. Hoffman has significant experience in the health care field. He has represented numerous clients in matters involving the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office of Inspector General, the U.S. Attorney’s Office, the New York State Attorney General’s Medicaid Fraud Control Unit, the New York State Department of Health, and the New York State Office of Professional Medical Conduct, among others. He has also represented physicians and physician practices in audits and negotiations with commercial insurers.
Mr. Hoffman advises clients in the area of fraud and abuse, including the federal and New York State anti-kickback and “Stark” laws. He has also advised both institutional and individual clients on the creation and implementation of compliance programs.
Mr. Hoffman received his B.A. from the State University of New York at Binghamton in 1988 and his J.D., cum laude, from Albany Law School of Union University in 1991.
Upon graduating from law school, Mr. Hoffman worked for Rogers & Wells in Manhattan, where he concentrated on civil litigation. He then worked for the white collar criminal defense firm of Morvillo, Abramowitz, Grand, Iason & Silberberg, also in Manhattan.
Mr. Hoffman has also taught a course in pre-trial skills as an Adjunct Professor at Hofstra University School of Law.
Speeches and Events
- Home Care Marketing Compliance, NYS Association of Health Care Providers, October 24, 2019
- Legal Update and Overview of Expertise, NYS Association of Health Care Providers, April 2, 2019
- Home Care Referrals, Marketing and the Kickback Laws, Garfunkel Wild, P.C., Compliance Webinar Series, March 19, 2019
- How to Handle Medicare and Medicaid Overpayments, Garfunkel Wild, P.C., Compliance Webinar Series, April 20, 2018
- How Will The New Safe Harbor Protection For Local Transportation Affect Hospitals? GW Compliance Webinar Series, June 6, 2017
- How to Handle Medicare and Medicaid Overpayments, Garfunkel Wild, P.C., Compliance Webinar Series, April 20, 2018 (Co-presenter)
- How Will the New Safe Harbor Protection for Local Transportation Affect Hospitals? Garfunkel Wild, P.C. Webinar, June 6, 2017 (Co-presenter)
- Critical insights for your organization, 2015 Not-for-profit educational workshop hosted by Baker Tilly and Garfunkel Wild, P.C. (Melville, NY) April 30, 2015
- Getting the Board on Board with Compliance, Health Care Compliance Association web conference, May 28, 2013
- OMIG’s Compliance Program Guidance for General Hospitals, Garfunkel Wild, P.C. Webinar, July 27, 2012
- Charting New Territory: New Requirements for Disclosing Overpayments to Governmental Agencies and Examining When to Appeal Adverse RAC Determinations, 34th Annual Institute sponsored by The New Jersey Chapter of HFMA in cooperation with The Metropolitan Philadelphia Chapter of HFMA, October 21, 2010