Hofstra University School of Law
(B.S., Chemistry, 2006)
United States Patent and Trademark Office
HONORS AND AWARDS
Best Lawyers in America® Ones to Watch - Health Care Law (2021-2022)
American Health Law Association
Nassau County Bar Association
Philip A. Hammarberg is the Chair of Garfunkel Wild’s Intellectual Property Practice Group. His practice focuses on advising and representing hospitals, hospital systems, health care management companies and a variety of other clients on a host of business, regulatory, compliance and transactional matters. Mr. Hammarberg is particularly focused on assisting clients with technology transactions, privacy and data security matters. Mr. Hammarberg’s practice also includes a focus on intellectual property matters including the management and development of trademark and copyright portfolios, and advising clients on issues related to prosecution and acquisition of intellectual property. In addition, he assists clients in obtaining copyright and trademark registrations.
Prior to joining Garfunkel Wild, P.C., Mr. Hammarberg gained experience in healthcare compliance, drafting and negotiating agreements for healthcare providers, healthcare payer audits, and intellectual property matters. Mr. Hammarberg frequently worked with healthcare providers to design and implement compliance programs to meet New York State and Federal requirements. He routinely conducted compliance trainings for physician practices, laboratories, and large institutional skilled nursing facilities. Additionally, he was instrumental in negotiating numerous settlements involving alleged overpayments.
- Represented a hospital in the negotiations and drafting of a data warehouse agreement.
- Represented a hospital in the negotiations and drafting of a revenue cycle software agreement.
- Represented a hospital in the negotiations and drafting of a picture archiving and communication system agreement.
- Represented a skilled nursing system in a deal for telemedicine services and hardware.
- Successfully negotiated, with the U.S. Department of Justice and New York State Attorney General’s Office, for the full discontinuance of a false claims act qui tam action against a large medical practice that was facing over $20,000,000 in potential penalties.
- Conducted internal nursing home compliance audits to identify compliance risk areas.
- Obtained a favorable, pre-suit, settlement for a tech start-up in a trademark infringement matter.
- Represented a small independent clothing designer against a large multistate retailer and successfully obtained the discontinuance of an infringing product line without the need for litigation.
- Successfully negotiated the purchase of an off-market trademark registration and social media assets.
- Successfully obtained patents for large multinational companies.
Speeches and Events
- 2018 LeadingAge Conference Presentation on Medical Marijuana in Healthcare Facilities
- Authored chapter entitled "Health Emergency Preparedness" in the Legal Manual for New York Physicians (Sixth Edition)