Seton Hall University School of Law (J.D., 1982)
Rutgers College (B.A., 1979)
New York Supreme Court, Appellate Division
New Jersey Supreme Court
U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
United States Supreme Court
HONORS AND AWARDS
Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business - Healthcare (2009-2020)
Best Lawyers in America® - Health Care Law (2015-2021)
New Jersey and New York Super Lawyers (2005-2019)
New Jersey State Bar Association
(Health and Hospital Law Committee)
New York State Bar Association
Bergen County Bar Association
(Former Health and Hospital Law Committee Co-Chairman)
American Bar Association
American Health Lawyers Association
Jeffrey S. Brown is the partner responsible for the firm's Hackensack, New Jersey office. He represents various for profit and non-profit, hospitals, long-term care facilities, physicians' practices and other health care related clients.
With almost 40 years of experience, Mr. Brown has been able to help navigate clients through a myriad of legal, business, strategic and state and federal challenges. He brings that experience on whatever kind of transaction the client is looking to complete, whether multimillion dollar acquisitions, mergers or consolidations.
Selected representative matters include:
- Represent a nonprofit client in an acquisition of for-profit health care system that required structuring the regulatory and tax aspects to return to nonprofit status while preserving significant federal and state grants
- Represent a hospital, home health agency and hospice program with the transfer of their operations navigating licenses and other regulatory matters, Medicare and Medicaid enrollment, change of ownership, compliance and Federal and State filings
- Successfully resolve multimillion dollar dispute with CMS on Federal Reimbursement programs on behalf of long-term care facilities
- Appointed by State Court to restructure a multi-dimensional physician practice and resolve and work cooperatively with Managed Care companies to create a mutually beneficial Agreement.
Mr. Brown is a member of the American Health Lawyers Association’s Exclusive Roster of Mediators and serves on the Board of Trustees for the Community Resources Council of Bergen County.
He was selected as Leadership Fellow for the State of New Jersey, in which capacity he analyzed the issue of health care in terms of its statewide significance. He was also chosen by former New Jersey Governor James McGreevey as a member of the health care transition team.
As a frequent speaker and writer on health care issues, Mr. Brown has lectured at Seton Hall University School of Law, where he serves on the Advisory Board of the Health Law & Policy Program, and was the health care editor of the Bergen Barrister.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Brown was Chairman of the Health Law Practice Group at Cole, Schotz, Meisel, Forman & Leonard, P.C. Prior to that he was Vice President of Legal and Governmental Affairs and in-house Corporate General Counsel for JFK Health Systems, Inc.
Mr. Brown received his B.A. in 1979 from Rutgers University and his J.D. from 1982 from Seton Hall University School of Law, where he was a member of the Seton Hall Law School Legislative Journal.
Speeches and Events
- "Healthcare Consolidations Panel," panelist at the New Jersey State Bar Association (NJSBA) 2018 Health Law Symposium, Parsippany, NJ, October 19, 2018
- "Acquisitions, Mergers an Affiliations" presented at the Trinitas Regional Medical Center Board Retreat, April 20, 2017
- "Healthcare 2014: What Is Happening and What It Means for Your Practice," speaker at Bergen County Bar Association CLE Course, May 7, 2014
- "Overview of Fraud and Abuse Laws and Regulations," Presentation for Rutgers State University of NJ, December 20, 2013
- "Anatomy of a Physician Contract," Presentation to residents of RWJ Medical School, September 12, 2013
- "Governance, Risk, Compliance in Physician Practice," New Jersey HFMA, March 12, 2013
- "Strategies for Acquisitions, Growth and Survival," New Jersey HFMA Program: Healthcare Finance in a New Era - What You Need to Know, Iselin, NJ, December 12, 2012
- "Hot Legal Issues in Provider-Health Plan Relations - Winning the Battle," 35th Annual Institute sponsored by The New Jersey Chapter of the Healthcare Financial Management Association, The Borgata Hotel and Casino Spa, Atlantic City, NJ, October 13, 2011
- "Healthcare Consolidation and It's Impact on Construction" panelist, sponsored by the New Jersey Alliance for Action, Trenton Marriott Conference Center in Trenton, NJ, March 30, 2011
- "Charting New Territory: New Requirements for Disclosing Overpayments to Governmental Agencies and Examining When to Appeal Adverse RAC Determinations," 34th Annual Institute sponsored by The New Jersey Chapter of HFMA in cooperation with The Metropolitan Philadelphia Chapter of HFMA, October 21, 2010
- "Protecting Your Livelihood: Tips for Preventing Medical Malpractice Claims and Protecting Your Assets," Bergen County Medical Society, River Edge, NJ, April 20, 2010
- The Hazards of Pharmaceutical Disposal: Rising Issues of Concern for Healthcare, HFMA's New Jersey Chapter Garden State Focus, November/December 2010, Vol. 57, Number 3
- The Hazards of Pharmaceutical Disposal: Emerging Environmental Issues of Concern, New Jersey Law Journal, July 19, 2010
- "HIPAA Deadline Arrives - Are Health Care Providers Ready as New Guidelines are Published?" Bergen Barrister, Summer 2003, Vol. 20, No. 2
- "HIPAA Update - Compliance with HIPAA's Privacy Regulations Required Beginning April 14!" Bergen Medicine, Spring 2003
- "New Jersey Passes Law to Allow Physicians and Dentists to Jointly Negotiate with Carriers," Bergen Medicine, Winter 2002
- "Final HIPAA Privacy Regulations Contain Significant Changes," Bergen Medicine, January 2001
- "Inspector General Issues Voluntary Compliance Programs for Physician Practices," Bergen Medicine, September 2000
- "Summary of Compliance Program Guidance for Physician Practices," Bergen Barrister, July 2000, Vol. 17, No. 3
- "Physician Rights in Fraud and Abuse Investigations," Bergen Medicine, September 1998
- "Managed Care Plans and HMOs," Bergen Barrister, June 1998, Vol. 14, No. 2
- "Compliance Programs in Healthcare Law," Bergen Medicine, January 1998
- "Health Care Portability Act: Employers & Physicians Beware," Bergen Barrister, September 1997, Vol. 13, No. 3
- "Health Care Portability and Accountability Act of 1996," NYSBA One on One, September 1997
- "Physician Recruitment," Bergen Barrister, October 1995, Vol. 11, No. 4
- "Managed Healthcare: A Prescription for Change," Bergen Barrister, April 1995, Vol. 11, No. 2
- "New Physician Recruitment Rules," Bergen Medicine, March 1995
- "Companies Must be Ready for OSHA's Blood Work," New Jersey Law Journal, February 1995
- "The Time Has Come for Hospitals and Health Care Practitioner to Take OSHA Seriously," Bergen Medicine, November/December 1994
- "Managed Health Care," Jersey Voice, July 1, 1994, Vol. 3, No. 86
- "The Changing Health Care Environment," Bergen Medicine, June 1994 "Self Referrals Pose Danger to Group Practices' Economic Health," Physician Group Practice Journal, March/April 1994, Vol. 43, No. 2
- "Physician Don't Refer Thyself," New Jersey Law Journal, November 8, 1993